Tuesday, December 31, 2013

April and early May 2013

About two weeks after the reunion, I looked into the PharmD program. I would only need four or five semesters of undergrad science classes and then I could start pharmacy school. There were several schools in Florida, and one was a UF branch in Orlando. Yes!

Ok, so I would need to start classes for the coming semester (Summer, starting in mid-May). Now I need to pick a school and apply. If I stayed where I was and applied to USF, I would not be able to take classes during the day (see: "Warm body requirement" from March 2013 post). If I applied to UCF, I would need to rent an apartment in addition to going to school and the debt would rack up fast. If I applied to FAU, I could move back in with my parents and only worry about grades and getting into pharmacy school. 

For S's and G's, I looked at the FAU application deadline. 

It was days away. 

I could still apply for the Summer semester and start classes almost immediately. What's the harm in applying? It's the logical first step. If I don't get in, oh well. If I do get in, then I can work on finalizing my exit strategy.

I applied. Then, I waited.

I was accepted a few days later (mid-April) and called my parents to tell them the plan: I was quitting my job and moving back in with them for a few years. They took the news surprisingly well.

I had about four weeks from acceptance to school starting. Hardly enough time to pack up all my belonging, close on my house, quit my job, go on vacation with Chip (it had been planned for months), paint my old bedroom, and unpack all my belongings. 

I gave my two week notice at the end of April and started packing all the non-essential stuff. Since I was also selling my house and moving back in with my parents, I was also trying to sell some of the stuff I wouldn't need anymore (washer, dryer, guest room furniture, lawn mower). 

The movers came the first Saturday in May to pack the truck for me, and Roger and I drove to Boca. Driving a moving van is not fun, especially when everything I own is in it and a dog who would rather be somewhere else than riding shot-gun.

I was at my parent's house long enough to unload and return the moving truck, and paint my old bedroom with one coat of paint. Then Mom dropped me off at J-Dawg's so I could hang out with her family for a few hours before flying back (rental truck was a one-way rental, flying back made the most sense). As Mom and I were walking out the door, Dad asked if Roger would like a doggie-door installed like he had at our old place. Good job, Dad! Roger is so happy! He loves his independence and his sun bathing.

(Happy, squinting sun dog)

I flew back to my old life and worked three more days at my old job. Then I locked up the house and left. (I could not get a closing date before I left, but the Realtor said I could sign the paperwork by mail.)

Then I drove straight to Disney for a vacation before starting my new life.


No comments:

Post a Comment