Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Disney Weekend (part five)

Chip and I watched Carousel of Progress and rode the WEDway People Mover (now the Tomorrowland Transit Authority) while waiting for the flag retreat to begin. (Sidenote: Disney attractions change. Sometimes it's a name change (MGM to Hollywood Studios) and sometimes it's a theme change (ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter to Stitch's Great Escape.) Regardless of the change, some people refuse to adapt. It will always be the WEDway People Mover to me and it will always be MGM to Chip.)

The Carousel of Progress is delightful. It follows one family through several decades. Supposedly, there is a cat in every scene. I haven't found them all. If you have, tell me where they are.

The WEDway People Mover is an open air ride on a track that circles Tomorrowland. It's a great way to see the park and people watch. I highly recommend it. Bonus: The line is usually short. Like, non-existent, short.

We also went to the Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor. Remember how in the movie, the Monsters realized that human laughter produced more energy than human screams? The attraction takes advantage of this. It is an interactive show that harnesses our laughter to power Monstropolis. Chip always wants to be picked to be "that guy". (They do NOT pick girls to be "that guy" and I keep telling her that.) There are several characters that show up in every show, and part of the humor is that the humans do not know they are going to be picked to show up on screen. (For example, Mike Wozowaski, with one eye. The human is supposed to cover an eye, usually takes a few seconds for him to figure it out. Awkward= funny.) This time, when they picked a little girl in the audience to be Boo, Chip and I got on screen! They showed the little girl, who was dresses as a princess, and then they showed us in our tiaras, and then the guy next to us who was wearing his Duke t-shirt. The joke was that there was lots of royalty in the audience. Who cares!? We made it on TV!
We still had a few minutes before the flag retreat, so we headed to City Hall so I could ask them about a button I saw earlier in the day. Someone was wearing a New Fantasyland button and I wanted to know how they got it. Turns out, there was a cast member preview of New Fantasyland while we were in the park. (I am signed up for the Passholder Preview on November 3; I'm so excited!)

City Hall is near the Barber Shop. I've never been inside, so I decided to check it out. This is the place where they do first haircuts for babies and give the parents a certificate and a lock of hair. Turns out they also do adult cuts. In addition, they will sprinkle pixie dust on you! (look past the tiara)


After I was sprinkled with pixie dust, it was (finally) time to watch the flag retreat. As the script from The Carousel of Progress states, Walt "himself was probably as American as anyone could possibly be." The flag retreat ceremony was amazing. There was a marching band, an  honor guard, and a former Marine participating in the ceremony. I may have gotten patriotic chilly bumps. Excellent job Disney.

Chip had to leave at this point, so I continued on by myself. Bye Chip. (No pressure, but move back soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment